Oso Bay Wetlands Preserve – COVID-19 Summer Camp Procedures
The Preserve staff are pleased to offer programs for youth during summer 2020 with procedures implemented regarding the COVID-19 pandemic for the safety of participants, staff, and parents.
- The camp size will be reduced from 20 students in O.S.O. Guardians and 15 students in Coastal Chronicles to 12 students. Only the Recreation Coordinator and two other adults (part-time staff/volunteers) will be allowed to work with students.
- The building will remain closed to the public during the duration of the camp (exception for the week of July 6–10 for programs – no camp this week).
- No one besides campers and designated staff will be allowed in the classroom. All check-in and check-out procedures will happen outside.
- Temperature checks will be done on camp staff and all campers each morning before entering the classroom. The Preserve will obtain a no-contact infrared thermometer for this process.
- Sport bandanas/face coverings will be provided for all kids and staff. Kids will wear masks while inside. We will encourage wearing masks outdoors except during snack time. Snack breaks will happen in the amphitheater.
- Each student will get their own supply kit (crayons, markers, glue stick, colored pencils, and scissors) to use throughout the week and take home at the end of the week. Each camper will get a different colored tape put on their materials so they know which one is theirs.
- Volunteers and staff will also have designated kits to use throughout the summer.
- Students will wash hands at least once per hour and hand sanitizer will be provided on tables (as available).
- Each time the group goes outside, one staff will wipe down all tables and chairs with disinfectant. This will also be done each morning before camp, and once at the end of camp.
- As available, gloves will be provided for volunteers that want to use them.
- If off-site field trips cannot occur due to location closure and/or lack of transportation we will:
- O.S.O. Guardians – work to source virtual field trips to be done during the camp and do alternate activities on site
- Coastal Chronicles – cancel camp as field trips make up the bulk of the experience
- Sick Kids & Refunds:
- Any parent who contacts us before 8 a.m. on the first day of camp that their child is sick or experiencing COVID symptoms will be given a full refund.
- Any child with symptoms and/or fever during camp will be sent home for the remainder of the week. They will get all supplies (shirt, backpack, craft kit).
Guidance derived from CDC Decision Tree for camps, ACA Guidance for 2020 Camps, and Texas Governor’s Open Texas document.