City’s Commitment to Safer Streets Continues
June 29, 2022
Vision Zero is a strategy to eliminate all traffic fatalities and severe injuries, while increasing safe, equitable, mobility for all. It was first implemented in the 1990’s in Sweden, and has been gaining momentum in major American Cities.
Vision Zero starts with the ethical belief that everyone has the right to move safely in their communities, and that system designers and policy makers share the responsibility to ensure safe systems for travel.
Working together, we will take equitable and data driven actions that will eliminate deaths and serious injuries for all who
share Corpus Christi streets and waterways by 2040.
The City is committed to decreasing crash statistics by endorsing Vision Zero and increasing safe, healthy, equitable mobility for cities, commuters and tourists who live, work and play here. Corpus Christi is a leader in becoming the fourth city in the State to pursue these efforts along with San Antonio, Austin, and Laredo.
• Building and sustaining leadership, collaboration, and accountability
• Using data to understand trends and potential disproportionate impacts of traffic deaths on certain populations;
• Prioritizing equity and community engagement;
• Managing speed to safe levels; and
• Setting a timeline to achieve zero traffic deaths and serious injuries
Sponsoring Council Members and Department Sponsors will work together to create the Vision Zero environment.