The Corpus Christi Parks & Recreation Department runs the "After Hour Kid Power" Program (formerly named Latchkey) which offers an after school program, school break day camps, and summer camps.
- Provides a safe, professionally supervised environment for children
- Provides basic survival skills necessary in today's society.
- Provides quality recreation experiences and enhances the child's leisure skills.
- Develops physical skills and coordination.
- Develops the ability to express thoughts and feelings through activities.
- Develops self-esteem and positive self-image skills for personal quality of life.
- Provides quality recreational and enrichment activities to enhance the child's leisure skills, which may include: art, drama, sports, dance, music, crafts, multi-cultural activities, special events, and much more.
- The program is licensed by the Texas Health and Human Services.
- The program follows the Minimum Standards Guidelines for Texas Child Care Centers.
- The staff is certified in Infant, Child and Adult CPR, and Community First Aid.
- All staff receives training in safety, supervision, and age-appropriate activities.
- The staff to child ratio is 1 to 22.
- Is licensed by the Texas Health and Human Services.
- Children may be registered at any "After Hour Kid Power" Program school site, space permitting.
- The program typically operates Monday through Friday, from the end of the school day until 6:00 p.m., August through June, observing the same holiday schedule as the school districts.
- A snack will be provided, but children may bring a snack from home.
- The parent that registers the child is the first point of contact.
- No refunds will be granted if a child is suspended or terminated.
Sign In & Sign Out Procedures:
- Children go directly to the cafeteria after school and are signed in upon arrival. Children enrolled in such after school activities as tutoring, etc. are signed in following those activities.
- Only authorized persons with a picture I.D. will be allowed to sign the child out.
- The parent will be called if the person picking up the child is not on the pick-up list.
- The child must be signed out daily.
- To remain eligible for the "After Hour Kid Power" Program, children must be signed out by 6:00 p.m.
- Parent/guardians or other persons designated as an authorized person to sign out a child from the "After Hour Kid Power" Program are required to initial by their respective child's name on the sign-out sheet.
- Children will only be released to those persons listed.
- The City reserves the right to refuse to release the child to any person if circumstances so warrant.
- Children who leave the program unsupervised will be suspended.
Tuition Assistance Information:
- The City of Corpus Christi contracts with Workforce Solutions of the Coastal Bend (WFSCB) to provide child care services for families through its "After Hour Kid Power" Program. The program offers tuition assistance in the form of scholarships for families who meet the program guidelines.
Scholarship (City Sponsored) Information:
- Customers who would like to be considered for an "After Hour Kid Power" Program scholarship must first complete and submit a WFSCB’s Wait List Application.
- The Wait List Application can be found on the WFSCB website at www.workforcesolutionscb.org under the Child Care tab.
- Customers may apply for the "After Hour Kid Power" Program scholarship once they have been placed on the WFSCB Child Care Wait List.
- "After Hour Kid Power" Program scholarship applications will not be accepted without a copy of the WFSCB Wait List Application.
- In order to apply for a scholarship, every adult (ages 17 or older) in the household must be employed, attending school, or in training.
- The fee will be based on income eligibility guidelines.
- Five business days to turn in all required paperwork from the time of registration.
- The applicant must pay full tuition at the time of registration. If qualified, the applicant will be credited with the difference during the following month.
- If the applicant qualifies for the scholarship, the scholarship fee will be due each month.
- Scholarship updates will take place during February.
- Incomplete application forms will be returned to the applicants.
- For more information or a scholarship application form, contact Stephanie Vasquez at StephanieV2@cctexas.com or (361) 826-3453.