The Corpus Christi Parks & Recreation Department operates the "After Hour Kid Power" Program (formerly named Latchkey) which offers an afterschool program, school break day camps, and summer camps. It is licensed by the Texas Health and Human Services.
Our dynamic and creative staff is trained in child development and age-appropriate activities to encourage engagement from the children. All staff members are certified in CPR and First Aid. Children build positive self-esteem through their involvement in a wide range of activities which include recreation and fitness skills. Parents may request reasonable accommodations for their child with disabilities by calling (361) 826-3499.
► For our variety of virtual classes and programs offered during this time, please join our Facebook page. Please continue to check back to this page for updates.
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM
► All three program sites at Calallen ISD have been operating since September 8, 2020. Each site met the program's minimum required enrollment.
- Calallen East Elementary, 3709 Lott Avenue (78410)
- Magee Elementary, 4201 Calallen Drive (78410)
- Wood River Primary, 15118 Dry Creek Drive (78410)
► Only the program sites at Corpus Christi ISD listed below will be offered starting October 5, 2020, because each site met the program's minimum required enrollment.
Corpus Christi ISD:
- Barnes Elementary, 2829 Oso Parkway (78414)
- Dawson Elementary, 6821 Sanders Drive (78413)
- Galvan Elementary, 3126 Masterson Drive (78415)
- Jones Elementary, 7533 Lipes Boulevard (78413)
- Kolda Elementary, 3730 Rodd Field Road (78414)
- Metro-E, 1707 Ayers Street (78404)
- Mireles Elementary, 7658 Cimarron Boulevard (78414)
- Schanen Elementary, 5717 Killarmet Drive (78413)
- Webb Elementary, 6953 Boardwalk Avenue (78414)
- Windsor Park Elementary, 4525 S. Alameda Street (78412)
► Call (361) 826-3499 to add your child to the "INTEREST LIST" in our after school program. Below is the list of available program sites at Corpus Christi ISD. We need more participation to meet the minimum required enrollment for each site.
Corpus Christi ISD:
- Berlanga Elementary, 4120 Carroll Lane (78411)
- Calk-Wilson Elementary, 3925 Fort Worth Street (78411)
- Club Estates Elementary, 5222 Merganser Drive (78413)
- Garcia Elementary, 1945 Gollihar Road (78416)
- Hicks Elementary, 3602 McArdle Road (78415)
- Houston Elementary, 363 Norton Street (78415)
- Meadowbrook Elementary, 901 Meadowbrook Drive (78412)
- Menger Elementary, 2401 S. Alameda Street (78404)
- Montclair Elementary, 5241 Kentner Street (78412)
- Moore Elementary, 6121 Durant Drive (78414)
- Sanders Elementary, 4102 Republic Drive (78413)
- Smith Elementary, 6902 Williams Drive (78412)
- Woodlawn Elementary, 1110 Woodlawn Drive (78412)
- Yeager Elementary, 5414 Tripoli Drive (78411)
New Name, New Sign-Up Process for 2020–2021
The "After Hour Kid Power" Program (School Year 2020–2021) will run September 2020–May 2021, Monday–Friday, from 3pm–6pm in conjunction with the Corpus Christi and Calallen Independent School District schedules. This program is the solution for working parents concerned about leaving their children in unsupervised environments. Registration will only be available online and will continue throughout the year, space permitting. List of program sites. For more information, call (361) 826-3499. ► FLYER
NEWS: "After Hour Kid Power" After School Program Offered by City (Released 8-13-20; Updated 8-26-20)
NEW SAFETY PROTOCOLS: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will Play It Safe this year. All children will have their temperatures taken at the door prior to entering. Parents will be required to pick up their children outside of the facility. Additional restrictions and safety guidelines will be implemented.
VACATION STATION CAMPS
This camp program is for youth ages 5-13. It is the answer for working parents concerned about leaving their children in unsupervised environments during school breaks. Camps are offered at the Galvan Elementary school and Magee Elementary school sites from 7:30am–6pm. Breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack will be provided as part of the program. Parents are welcome to send a sack lunch with their child (no glass containers or microwaveable items, please). The cost is only $30/day/child at CCISD campsite and $25/day/child at CISD campsite. A $25 scholarship fee/day/child is available for qualifying participants.
CAMPS DURING 2020–2021 SCHOOL YEAR: Please check back to this page in November 2021 for schedule. For more information, please call (361) 826-3499.
This fun, enrichment program operates annually from June through August for youth ages 5-13. It features a variety of activities such as arts and crafts, guest speakers, and games. The curriculum is designed for children to develop character, learn valuable life skills, make new friends, and discover new interests. Morning and afternoon snacks will be provided. Campers must bring their own lunch. We understand that finding a summer camp that is right for your child, schedule, and budget can be a challenge. This camp is the answer for parents!
"After Hour Kid Power" Summer Camps 2021 will run June–July, Monday–Friday, from 7:30am–6pm (closed Independence holiday) at five campsites. The fee is $99/week/child or $25/day/child. The scholarship fee is $50/week/child. Tuition assistance is available for qualifying participants. Registration will be ongoing throughout the summer, space permitting. Please check back to this page in early May 2021 for the registration schedule and more details. Please call (361) 826-3499 for more information.
Contact & More Information
Phone: (361) 826-3499
► NEW SIGN-UP PROCESS FOR THE 2020–2021 SCHOOL YEAR will be offered for the "After Hour Kid Power" After School Program.
• Please note that by adding your information to the interest list you are NOT guaranteed a position for the school year until you receive a phone call from the “After Hour Kid Power” program with further instructions.
• Use the drop-down menu on our registration page to select the school your child will attend.
• Submit your contact information, the number of spaces you wish to reserve. Scholarship assistance is available.
• No payment is required at this time.
• The system will generate a timestamp that will allow us to determine who to call first, starting on Tuesday, September 1, 2020.
• Once you receive our phone call, you will have 24 hours to complete registration and make payment to secure your child’s spot.
• Site availability will be determined by the number of participants registered and staff available for each school.
SPECIAL NOTE TO PARENTS regarding registration, payment, and the first day for your child to attend the "After Hour Kid Power" Program: Payment is due at the time of registration, before a child’s first day with the program—no exception.
ONLINE REGISTRATION will be offered for the "After Hour Kid Power" After School Program. Once the school year is underway, online registration will be ongoing, space permitting. Online registration is not offered for summer camps.
ONLINE PAYMENT is available for parents who have already registered their child/children for the "After Hour Kid Power" After School Program. This service provides parents with 24-hour convenience to make monthly payments from their homes.
After the program starts, call for more information or availability.
JOIN OUR TEAM
The "After Hour Kid Power" Program is always looking for a few good men and women who enjoy working with children in an exciting and fun environment.