The Corpus Christi Parks & Recreation Department operates the "After Hour Kid Power" Program (formerly named Latchkey) which offers an afterschool program, school break day camps, and summer camps. It is licensed by the Texas Health and Human Services. It is the answer for working and busy parents concerned about leaving their children in unsupervised environments.
Our dynamic and creative staff is trained in child development and age-appropriate activities to encourage engagement from the children. All staff members are certified in CPR and First Aid. Children build positive self-esteem through their involvement in a wide range of activities which include recreation, creativity, and fitness. Parents may request reasonable accommodations for their child with disabilities by calling (361) 826-3499.
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM
New Sign-Up Process for 2021–2022 ► FLYER
The "After Hour Kid Power" Program (School Year 2020–2021) will run August 2021–May 2022, Monday–Friday, from 3pm–6pm in conjunction with the Corpus Christi and Calallen Independent School District schedules. This program is the solution for working parents concerned about leaving their children in unsupervised environments. Registration will only be available online and will continue throughout the year, space permitting. List of program sites. For more information, call (361) 826-3499.
The program will be offered when schools open for in-person instruction on August 10, 2021.
Online sign up begins Friday, July 2, 2021, at 9am and will remain open throughout the school year for Corpus Christi and Calallen ISD.
► SIGN UP HERE to be added to the interest list.
This fun, enrichment program operates annually from June through August for youth ages 5-13. It features a variety of activities such as arts and crafts, guest speakers, and games. The curriculum is designed for children to develop character, learn valuable life skills, make new friends, and discover new interests. Morning and afternoon snacks will be provided. Campers must bring their own lunch. We understand that finding a summer camp that is right for your child, schedule, and budget can be a challenge. This camp is the answer for parents!
"After Hour Kid Power" Summer Camps 2021 will run June 14–July 30, Monday–Friday, from 7:30am–6pm (closed July 5 in observance of Independence Day) at four campsites. The fee is $89/week/child (Calallen ISD) and $99/week/child (CCISD). Daily Drop-In fee is $25/day/child (drop-ins are NOT allowed on field trip days). The scholarship fee is $60/week/child (Calallen ISD) and $70/week/child (CCISD). Tuition assistance is available for qualifying participants. Registration will be ongoing throughout the summer, space permitting. Please call (361) 826-3499 for more information. ► Summer 2021 Activities Calendar
► SIGN UP EARLY TO GET SET FOR SUMMER: Place your name and contact information on a WAITING LIST for your child to attend the summer campsite of your choice. Sign up here to add your child to the "WAITING LIST."
► UPDATE: See the SUMMER CAMP FLYER for more details (revised campsites).
NEW ONLINE WAITING LIST SIGN-UP PROCESS:
- Please note that by adding your information to the waiting list you are NOT guaranteed a position for the summer camp until you receive a phone call from the “After Hour Kid Power” program with further instructions.
- Use the drop-down menu on our registration page to select the campsite your child will attend.
- Submit your contact information, the number of spaces you wish to reserve, your child’s t-shirt size, and if you will be or have been approved for Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) assistance.
- No payment is required at this time.
- The system will generate a timestamp that will allow us to determine who to call first, starting May 3, 2021.
- Once you receive our phone call, we will send you an e-mail with a participant specific link asking you to complete registration, from that point on you will have 48 hours to complete registration and make payment to secure your child’s spot.
VACATION STATION CAMPS
This camp program is for youth ages 5-13. It is the answer for working and busy parents concerned about leaving their children in unsupervised environments during school breaks. Camps will be offered from 7:30am–6pm. Morning and afternoon snacks will be provided daily as part of the program. Please send a sack lunch with your child (no glass containers or microwaveable items). The cost is only $30/day/child. A $25 scholarship fee/day/child is available for qualifying participants.
CAMPS DURING 2021–2022 SCHOOL YEAR: Please check back to this page in late August 2021 for upcoming camps. For more information, please call (361) 826-3499.
Contact & More Information
Phone: (361) 826-3499
► NEW SIGN-UP PROCESS FOR THE 2020–2021 SCHOOL YEAR will be offered for the "After Hour Kid Power" After School Program.
• Please note that by adding your information to the interest list you are NOT guaranteed a position for the school year until you receive a phone call from the “After Hour Kid Power” program with further instructions.
• Use the drop-down menu on our registration page to select the school your child will attend.
• Submit your contact information, the number of spaces you wish to reserve. Scholarship assistance is available.
• No payment is required at this time.
• The system will generate a timestamp that will allow us to determine who to call first, starting on Tuesday, September 1, 2020.
• Once you receive our phone call, you will have 24 hours to complete registration and make payment to secure your child’s spot.
• Site availability will be determined by the number of participants registered and staff available for each school.
SPECIAL NOTE TO PARENTS regarding registration, payment, and the first day for your child to attend the "After Hour Kid Power" Program: Payment is due at the time of registration, before a child’s first day with the program—no exception.
ONLINE REGISTRATION will be offered for the "After Hour Kid Power" After School Program. Once the school year is underway, online registration will be ongoing, space permitting. Online registration is not offered for summer camps.
ONLINE PAYMENT is available for parents who have already registered their child/children for the "After Hour Kid Power" After School Program. This service provides parents with 24-hour convenience to make monthly payments from their homes.
After the program starts, call for more information or availability.
JOIN OUR TEAM
The "After Hour Kid Power" Program is always looking for a few good men and women who enjoy working with children in an exciting and fun environment.
► Summer 2021 Positions - Flyer
► After Hour Kid Power Group Leader - Summer (Job ID 6191 link)
► After Hour Kid Power Group Leader - Summer (Job ID 6194 link)
► After Hour Kid Power Sr. Group Leader - Summer (Job ID 6192 link)
► After Hour Kid Power Sr. Group Leader - Summer (Job ID 6193 link)
► After Hour Kid Power Camp Coordinator - Summer (Job ID 6190 link)