If you have a moving violation you may be eligible to take an approved driving safety course. You must elect to take the driving safety course on or before your appearance date on your citation, and enter a plea of no contest or guilty.
If you do not elect to take the driving safety course and enter a plea before your appearance date you will lose the right to take the driving safety course.
If you are approved to take the diving safety course, the court will enter an Interim Judgment and defer imposition of the Judgment. You will be allowed 90 days to successfully complete the requirements stated in the Driving Safety Course Order. If you successfully comply with the conditions in the Driving Safety Course Order your case will be dismissed.
You are NOT eligible to take the Driving Safety Course if:
- You hold a CDL (commercial driver’s license), or held a CDL at the time of the offense;
- You are charged with speeding 25 miles or more over the speed limit;
- You are charged with speeding while driving 95 mph or more;
- You are charged with a violation of a city ordinance (if you are 25 years of age or older);You are charged with a citation in a construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present;
- You are charged with passing a school bus;You are charged with the offense of duty to give information and render aid; or
- To find out if your offense is eligible for the driving safety course you may call (361) 826-2500 or e- mail municipal court at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be eligible for the Driving Safety Course you MUST:
- Enter a plea of guilty or no contest on or before the appearance date on your citation. Complete, sign and return the plea form (click link here.)
- Present a request to take the driving safety course in writing on or before your appearance date on your citation - Affidavit and Application for the Driving Safety Course (click link here.)
- Present a valid Texas Driver’s license, permit, or Military ID;
- Present proof of financial responsibility;
- You must not have taken the driving safety course within a year before your citation; and
- Pay the court costs and administrative fees at the time of the request which are: moving violation fees are $114.10 or school zone moving violations are $139.10.
You must NOT have taken the driving safety course for purposes of having a citation dismissed within the 12 months prior to the date of your citation. You will be required to sign a sworn affidavit, under the penalty of perjury, stating that you are in compliance with this condition.