2015 New Codes
The City of Corpus Christi has adopted, with local amendments effective September 1, 2016, The International Code Council (ICC), 2015 editions of the International Building Code, Existing Building Code, Energy Conservation Code, Fuel Gas Code, Mechanical Code, Plumbing Code, and Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings and the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) National Electric Code.
You can view the New Codes online at codes.iccsafe.org. Codes are also available for hard copy viewing at Development Services and City Secretary’s office. If you would like to purchase the New Code Books, you can find them at www.iccsafe.org or www.nfpa.org.
For changes on local amendments pertaining to building codes, please refer to the City of Corpus Christi Technical Construction Codes in MuniCode.
- City Charter »
- Unified Development Code (UDC) »
- Beachfront Management & Construction Regulation Appendices »
Corpus Christi Ordinances and Amendments to Individual Codes
The Building Inspection Division maintains and enforces the technical construction codes adopted by the City of Corpus Christi. The construction codes adopted by the City are the 2015 International Codes . These include The International Code Council (ICC), 2015 editions of the International Building Code, Existing Building Code, Energy Conservation Code, Fuel Gas Code, Mechanical Code, Plumbing Code, and Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings and the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) National Electric Code. The public health, safety, and welfare are provided through these codes, which are uniformly administered.
- 2015 International Energy Code Compliance
- 2015 New Codes - The 2014 NEC and the 2015 I-Codes are the latest adopted codes within the jurisdiction of the City of Corpus Christi.
- 2015 IECC Commercial Pre/Post Submittal Requirements Memorandum
Local Amendments to the Technical Construction Codes
View or download the links below for the Corpus Christi amendments to the adopted International Codes, and related requirements for Storm Water, Fill Materials, Excavations and Solid Waste at Construction Sites.
ALL CONTRACTORS WORKING IN THE CITY OF CORPUS CHRISTI AGREE TO ABIDE BY ALL LOCAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL ORDINANCES AND REGULATIONS AS REQUIRED BY THE CITY OF CORPUS CHRISTI.
- Scope and Administration of Technical Construction Codes »
- Building Code and Existing Building Code »
- Energy Conservation Code »
- Electrical Code »
- Fuel Gas Code »
- Mechanical Code »
- Residential Code »
- Plumbing Code »
- Flood Hazard Prevention Code » - Includes Findings of Facts and Purposes, Definitions, General Provisions, Administrations and Provisions for Flood Hazard Reductions
- Storm Water Quality Management Plans »
- Regulation of Fill Materials »
- Excavations »
- Control of Solid Waste at Construction Sites »
Storm Water Notice of Intent »
- Storm Water Notice of Termination »
The Building Division works with many different building codes such as the International Building Code, International Residential Code, Plumbing Code, Mechanical Code, Electrical Code, Energy Code, and various other codes.
Sometimes, the code is unclear or requires local interpretation to deal with unique situations. The Local Government Code and the City of Corpus Christi Code of Ordinances delegates authority to the Building Official to interpret the code and where unclear, issue a code interpretation to be applied in a consistent manner. Code interpretations are one of many steps in providing tools for consistent and safe application of the building code and regulations through:
- Promulgation of authoritative interpretations of the Building Code, it's provisions and their application
- The establishment of consistent regulations to improve safety and more effectively meet the objectives of the Building Code and it's regulations.
- Ensure the timely response of construction issues native to the Corpus Christi area in order to be better equipped to respond to emerging issues such as rapidly changing building technologies and new building techniques such as green building.
Code interpretations to date:
- Shower Pan Liner Inspection and Testing Requirements »
- Fire Sprinkler Systems »
- Plat Subdivision Determination »
- Wind Load Certification – Repairs to Damaged Commercial Buildings »
- Building Code Determination for Palapa Construction »