(CORPUS CHRISTI, TX - September 11, 2019) The City of Corpus Christi’s Arts & Cultural Commission will host its sixth annual Arts Forum on Thursday, September 12, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Art Museum of South Texas located at 1902 N. Shoreline Boulevard. The private event gives past recipients the opportunity to honor outstanding arts and cultural volunteers with a Star Award.
Council Member Michael Hunter will be presenting the awards from 6:15 p.m. to 7 p.m.
This year’s Star Award recipients are:
- Christina Marie Gonzalez for the K Space Mural Program
- Leticia Bajuyo for the TAMU-CC Department of Art & Design
- Susan Sturman for the Chamber Music Society
- Kathleen Burrill for the Bailando International Dance Festival
- Lynda Jones for the K Space Contemporary Art Gallery
- Jordan Anderson for the Art Museum of South Texas
- Ann Marie Colosi for Corpus Christi LIVE
- Sasha Alcorta for Alcorta’s Compania de Danza Folklorica
- Simoné Sanders for the Texas Association of Black Personnel in Higher Education – Corpus Christi Chapter
- Chuck Anastos for the Corpus Christi Chapter of the American Institute of Architects
The 2019 Arts & Cultural Commission Shining Star Award will be presented to John Joseph Nelson for his 30-year contribution to the Bay Jammin’ Concert Series.
An Art Grants 2020 briefing will take place immediately following the ceremony. Art Grants are available to 501c3 non-profit corporations and tax-exempt community-oriented organizations within Corpus Christi. Applications are for matching grants of up to $15,000. Funding for the Arts Grant Program is provided by the City of Corpus Christi utilizing the Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) fund. Per state law, revenue from the municipal Hotel Occupancy Tax may be used only to promote tourism and the convention and hotel industry. Organizations applying for and receiving Hotel Occupancy Tax funds are required to adhere to the state laws governing the use of such funds.