The Corpus Christi - Nueces County Health District (CCNCPHD) strongly advises the community to wear masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This recommendation is informed by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). To reduce the spread of COVID-19, CDC recommends that people wear cloth face coverings in public settings when around people outside of their household, especially when other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.
- Do make sure you can breath.
- Do wear a mask in public.
- Do cover your nose and mouth.
- Don't use on children under age 2.
- Don't use while sleeping.
- Don't use medical grade or N95 masks.
- Don't share masks. Masks should only be used by one person.
For Best Results
Make sure your mask:
- fits snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- completely covers the nose and mouth
- is secured with ties or ear loops
- includes multiple layers of fabric, ideally 3 layers
- allows for breathing without restriction
- can be laundered without damage or change to shape
- does not have a valve, which can expel unfiltered air upon exhalation
Wearing a Mask
CDC Mask Recommendations
World Health Organization (WHO) Mask Recommendations
Highlighted considerations for non-medical masks.
- Choose materials that capture particles and droplets but remain easy to breathe through.
- Avoid stretchy material for making masks as they provide lower filtration efficiency during use and are sensitive to washing at high temperatures.
- Fabrics that can support high temperatures (60° or more) are preferable.
- A minimum of three layers is recommended, depending on the fabric used: an inner layer touching the mouth and an outer layer that is exposed to the environment.
- Choose water-absorbing (hydrophilic) materials or fabrics for the internal layers, to readily absorb droplets, combined with an external synthetic material that does not easily absorb liquid (hydrophobic).