PROJECT COMPLETE - The Engineering Services and Public Works Departments are excited to announce the completion of this project on October 28, 2021.
September 28, 2021
The Airline Road project is currently in phase 3 of construction. The contractor has completed the installation of the storm water laterals and inlet boxes. They have also completed the placement of one third of the new concrete pavement roadway in the southbound lanes. This week the contractor will continue installation of roadway base material and preparation for the upcoming concrete pavement pours to be completed by next week. The project is on schedule to be complete in October 2021.
August 30, 2021
JE Construction Services has poured concrete paving from McArdle Road to SPID. Additionally, driveways are currently being poured in small groups in order to accommodate the area shopping center. The Northbound side of the roadway is scheduled to be complete in the coming weeks and a traffic switch is scheduled for mid-September. The project is on schedule to be complete in October 2021.
July 7, 2021
Last week, the contractor completed the installation of the 16” waterline, fire hydrant laterals, and stormwater laterals. This week, weather permitting they plan to pressure test the new 16” waterline and if the test is successful the contractor will start the waterline tie-ins to the existing system next week. Once the waterline tie-ins are complete the contractor will start subgrade prep for new concrete roadway.
June 3, 2021
This week the contractor, JE Construction Services, LLC worked to install new water lines and storm water pipes on the northbound side of Airline Road. This work is expected to continue next week. The project is currently 15% complete.
January 29, 2021
Airline Road – South Padre Island Drive (SPID) to McArdle Road (18004A, Bond 2018)
During Phase 2 of the Airline Road project, between South Padre Island Drive (SPID) and McArdle Road, traffic is shifted to the west side of the roadway (southbound lanes) along Airline Road. Traffic is reduced to one-lane, in each direction, within the construction limits.
During this phase, the following ongoing traffic changes and lane closures are implemented:
- Left turns are restricted from Airline Road (southbound) onto McArdle Road (westbound).
- The right-lane (northbound thru-lane) will be closed at the intersection of Airline Road and the South Padre Island Drive (SPID). Thru traffic will be merged into a single lane. The left-turn lane and right-turn lane at the SPID intersection will remain open.
- The left-lane (southbound thru-lane) will be closed at the intersection of Airline Road and McArdle Road. Thru traffic will be merged into the right lane. The left-turn lane and the free right-turn at the McArdle Road intersection will remain open.
- The right-lane along McArdle Road (eastbound direction) will be closed at the intersection of Airline Road and McArdle Road. Thru traffic will be merged into a single lane. The left-turn lane will remain open.
- The shared left/thru lane along the South Padre Island Drive (SPID) frontage road (eastbound direction) will be closed at the intersection of Airline Road. Thru traffic will be merged into the shared thru/right lane.
- Driveway openings are provided for business access within the project limits. Access is limited to right-in/right-out only.
- Sidewalks will be closed along the west side of Airline Road between McArdle Road and SPID.
April 28, 2020
Concerns have been raised by property and business owners about beginning the reconstruction of Airline Road from S.P.I.D. to McArdle Road (in City Council District 4) in the aftermath of the COVID-19 stay at home orders. The concern is that the dual impacts of those two factors could force some of the merchants out of business.
As a result, the Airline Road Project from McArdle Road to South Padre Island Drive is expected to begin in January 2021. The project duration is about 7 months and is expected to be completed in July 2021. Road closures and project details will be updated as the project progresses. Keep checking back for the latest updates.