ELECTION DETAILS FOR MAYOR & COUNCIL MEMBERS
Date & Location of Next Election:
Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Corpus Christi, Texas
The filing period for a place on the ballot is Monday, July 20, 2020 (1) through Monday, August 17, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Applicant Qualifications for Mayor & Council Members:
Individuals who wish to run for City Council must meet the following requirements:
- MUST be a citizen of the United States.
- MUST be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election.
- MUST not have been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
- MUST not have been finally convicted of a felony from which he/she has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
- MUST have resided continuously in this state for the twelve (12) months and in City of Corpus Christi for the six (6) months immediately preceding the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate’s application for a place on the ballot and, if filing for a single-member district position, in that district for six (6) months immediately preceding the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate’s application for a place on the ballot.
- MUST be registered to vote, on the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate’s application for a place on the ballot,:
‣ in the City of Corpus Christi, if candidate is seeking the office of mayor or at-large city council member;
‣ in the district in which a candidate is seeking a single-member city council district position.
- MUST maintain actual residence in the City, in the case of mayor or an at-large position, or in a single-member district from which elected, throughout the term of office, and he/she understands that failure to do so shall work a forfeiture of office.
- MUST not owe delinquent taxes to the City.
- MUST designate a campaign treasurer.
- MUST file an Application for a Place on the Ballot. The application must be accompanied by either: (1) a filing fee of $100, or (2) a petition signed by registered voters residing in the territory from which the office is elected equal in number to the greater of: (a) twenty-five, or (b) one-half of one percent of the total received in the territory from which the office is elected by all candidates for mayor in the most recent mayoral regular election.
- MUST, pursuant to the City’s Code of Ethics, file: 1) Candidate’s Report of Financial Information and 2) Supplemental Report of Financial Information, each within three (3) days after filing for office.
- MUST file a Personal Financial Statement, as required by state law, no later than September 8, 2020 (2).
(1) The first day a candidate may file an application for a place on the ballot is July 18, 2020. July 18 falls on a Saturday. The Texas Secretary of State has confirmed that “regular business hours” prevails. Thus, the City of Corpus Christi’s next regular business day on which a candidate may file an application for a place on the ballot is Monday, July 20, 2020.
(2) Candidate must file Personal Financial Statement not later than the 20th day after the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot, which is September 6, 2020. Because September 6 falls on a Sunday and because Monday, September 7, 2020 is Labor Day (a national holiday), the deadline is extended to Tuesday, September 8, 2020.