Skip to main content

Driveway Culverts – Installation

Question: What is required to install a driveway culvert to a private residence or commercial property?

Answer: Before installing (or replacing) a driveway culvert, please contact Development Services at (361) 826-3240 to obtain a driveway permit. You will be advised to contact the Storm Water Department when you are ready to install the pipe so that the proper grade will be provided for you; and, when you are ready to backfill so a final inspection can be made.


Curb – Standing Water

Question: Why is there standing water in my curb or gutter?  Can it be fixed?

Answer: This is typical of many areas throughout the City where the curb may have settled, causing the water to pond in low spots.

Please call the City of Corpus Christi hotline at (361) 826-2489 to report the location.  Storm Water staff will investigate the location to determine if the section of the curb and gutter should be added to the list of locations for rehabilitation or replacement.

In accordance with the City’s Code of Ordinances, the property owner is responsible for minimizing standing water adjacent to their properties by sweeping the water out of the curb area.


Ditch Mowing

Question: Who is responsible for mowing stormwater ditches?

Answer: The adjacent property owner is responsible for mowing ditches along residential properties.

Generally, the Storm Water Department is responsible for mowing ditches in drainage right-of-ways and along all other unimproved streets.

There are certain special residential locations where the City mows the adjacent ditches that are too steep (for example, some areas along Horne Road) or the ditches are on dual sides (for example, Houston Street).


Drain Inlets – Clogged

Question: What should I do if the drain inlet is clogged in my area?

Answer: Report the clogged drain to the City of Corpus Christi Hotline at (361) 826-2489.  The Storm Water Department is responsible for cleaning over 18,000 storm drain inlets throughout the City.  Storm Water staff will investigate and schedule the inlet for cleaning.



Question: Is street flooding normal? 

Answer: Yes. In most areas, the streets are considered to be a part of the drainage system. During a typical rainfall event, water will flow through storm sewers located underneath the street or in roadside ditches to a drainage channel. When the capacity of the storm sewers or roadside ditches is exceeded, the street itself will hold the water until the storm sewer or roadside ditch has additional room to drain the water. 

Question: My street floods. How do I get something done about this problem? 

Answer: The City’s Utility Department will investigate and inspect the storm sewer and ditch systems for breaks / blockages and make repairs as needed. However, if the drainage system is found to be operating as designed with no defects, the area may still experience flooding during moderate to heavy rain events.  When defects are found, requests will be referred for evaluation under the City's Capital Improvement Plan (CIP). This request will be ranked against other requests / projects and prioritized accordingly. Call 826-2489 to report an area.


Illegal Dumping

Question: What should I do if I see someone dumping into a storm drain, storm inlet, or ditch?

Answer:  Immediately report the illegal dumping to the City of Corpus Christi Hotline at (361) 826-2489.  You may leave the information anonymously, however all information is helpful including photos of the illegal dumping that occurred.


Draining Swimming Pools

Question: Can I drain a swimming pool into the storm drain?

Answer: The City’s Code of Ordinances allows you to discharge swimming pool water into the storm water drainage system, provided that the water is de-chlorinated (discharge has been tested using a method approved by the Director of Public Health to assure that it will not contain a harmful level of chlorine or other pollutants).

However, filter backwash water should be directed to the sanitary sewer system.