Learn how to properly dispose of household hazardous waste, such as batteries, anti-freeze, and solvents, properly. The City of Corpus Christi offers special events and daily services for responsible hazardous waste disposal.
What is Household Hazardous Waste?
Many jobs and chores around your home sometimes require the use of products containing hazardous components, such as chemicals that are poisonous, corrosive or flammable. These products may include certain paints, cleaners, stains and varnishes, motor oil, and pesticides. The used or leftover contents of such products are known as "household hazardous waste." Many household products contain the same chemicals as industrial wastes and can have an adverse effect on the environment if disposed of improperly.
How do I dispose of Household Hazardous Waste?
Disposal services are offered free of charge to Corpus Christi residents at the J.C. Elliott Collection Center. Household Hazardous Waste Collection is offered daily. Learn more about the Collection Center »
Items To Bring From Home:
Anti-freeze, solvents, used motor oil & oil filters, brake fluids, transmission fluids, and gasoline.
Residents can bring up to 5, one gallon containers of paint, spray paint, paint thinners, paint stripper, wood preservatives, and brush cleaners.
Pesticides, any sprays or dusts, weed killers, rat poison, and insecticides.
Drain cleaners, cleaner concentrates (powders/liquids), de-greasers, oven cleaners, mothballs, cleaning solvents, spot removers, polishes, pool chemicals, and household batteries.
Tips For Disposal
- Maximum container size per item is one gallon.
- Do not mix different or unknown materials together.
- Bring materials in their original containers if possible. Every effort should be made to identify material. If you do not know what it is, mark it "unknown".
- When transporting, place in trunk area away from the driver and passengers.
- If containers are leaking, pack in a larger container and use absorbent material such as cat litter to soak up leaks.
- Boxes with dividers make good packaging.
- For long term storage, store in a cool dry place. Many chemicals, especially those in cardboard packing, can absorb moisture.
Do NOT Bring
Waste from commercial facilities, radioactive waste, PCB's & dioxins, explosives or gunpowder, compressed gas cylinders or medical waste.
For more information on this service and other Solid Waste Services, call Customer Service at (361) 826-2489.