Skip to main content
Emergency Alert

Hurricane season begins June 1 and ends November 30 each year. Learn how to Be Ready at

As stated earlier, flooding can occur anywhere, anytime. Even if you are not required to have flood insurance, serious consideration should be given to purchasing it anyway.

Homeowners insurance may cover fire and wind damage, but virtually never covers damage from flooding; nature's most common natural disaster. Damages associated with floods can easily total $25,000 or more.

Because the City of Corpus Christi participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, all residents qualify to apply for NFIP flood insurance.

Without flood insurance, losses must be covered out of pocket. Some limited relief might be obtainable through government aid. But, government assistance is not available automatically. It is offered only when the President makes an official disaster declaration. Less than half of flooding events are "declared disasters". Declarations require rather widespread damage. Most often, when government aid is available, it comes in the form of an interest-bearing loan.

Flood insurance is mandatory if you have a federally backed mortgage on a home in a Special Flood Hazard Area or you have received a federal grant for previous flood losses and you wish to qualify for future aid.

A Flood Policy can cover:

  • Structural damage
  • Household appliances
  • Flood debris cleanup
  • Wall to wall carpeting

Contents Coverage can cover:

  •  Furniture
  • Collectibles
  • Clothing, shoes, accessories

Added coverage may be available for dislocation expenses such as rent, hotel stays, meals, etc.

The maximum coverage limits under a standard flood policy are $250,000 for a single family home structure ($500,000 for businesses) and $100,000 for single-family home contents ($500,000 for businesses). The coverage limit for renter contents is $100,000.

Property owners living in lower risk areas may qualify for a "preferred risk" policy which provides the same coverage at substantially lower rates.


For More Information

Your homeowner's insurance agent most likely can provide you with all the information you need and answer any questions you have. If not, additional information can be obtained from

National Flood Insurance Program »

Community Status Book »