COVID-19 Basketball League Guidelines
Welcome back to Corpus Christi Parks & Recreation! As we return to play, our goal is to continue to provide the most memorable experiences in youth basketball. In order to do so, we encourage parents, athletes, coaches, and all of our guests to join us in returning to play responsibly by learning our new ground rules to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Game start times will be staggered, and we recommend teams not to arrive more than 15 minutes prior to game time. Basketball games will start on time.
• All persons entering the gym will be required to wear a face-covering and have their temperature checked for compliance.
• Players are encouraged to bring masks and their own small personal hand sanitizers. Teams will not be allowed into the gym until five minutes before the game begins.
DURING THE GAME
• The City will provide the game balls. The game ball will be sanitized per each quarter and during timeouts.
• Each team is also required to use hand sanitizer before entering the game and after each quarter of play.
• Please do not share equipment. If equipment (such as basketball) is shared, a coach must properly disinfect equipment prior to the next participant’s use.
• Referee meetings will be limited to one referee and one (1) coach from each team; all must practice social distancing.
• The only people allowed at the scorer’s table will be site staff and referees.
• Sidelines will be expanded, and we ask for your cooperation in practicing social distancing.
• Players (including referees) on the court are not required to wear a face-covering but is optional. Physical contact, such as high fives, hugs, sitting next to others for water breaks, etc. are discouraged.
• Players and spectators will leave the gym immediately afterward for sanitizing of the gym, equipment, and restrooms.
• Spectators arrive 5 minutes before game time and exit immediately after for gym/restroom sanitizing.
• Players are allowed two spectators per game and must observe six-foot spacing in bleachers.
• Hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance and exit of the facility
• In lieu of handshaking lines, each team will line up on their respective side of the court and respectfully acknowledge each other of a good game.
ADDITIONAL COVID-19 SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
Corpus Christi Parks & Recreation will post laminated signs inside facilities and restrooms with the following CDC safety guidelines: proper hand washing, wearing of face masks, and social distancing. Staff will also provide a copy of the “City of Corpus Christi Parks & Recreation's Athletics Program Guidelines for the 2020 Season” to coaches, referees and parents.
• Parents should monitor the health of their children and not send them to participate in sporting activities if they exhibit any symptoms of COVID-19. They should seek COVID-19 testing promptly and report results to the program given the implications for other children, families, and staff. Individuals aged 65 or older are at a higher risk of COVID-19. Parents should protect any vulnerable persons who are members of the same household or come into frequent, close contact with individuals who participate in youth sports.
• Remind participants, parents, and guardians of the enhanced risks of participants being in direct contact with anyone age 65 or older for 14 days after participating in the youth sporting event or practice.
• Any staff or participants exhibiting multiple signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19 will be asked to leave the facility and contact the local health department.
• For anyone identified with COVID-19 to return, they must obtain a medical professional’s note clearing the individual for the return based on a negative nucleic acid COVID-19 test and an alternative diagnosis.
• If a staff member tests positive for COVID-19, the youth sports organizer will notify parents or guardians of possible exposure to a lab-confirmed case of COVID-19.
• If, 3 or more players in our league have individuals test positive for COVID-19, we work with state and local public health authorities about continued operations for our league.
• Throughout the season as medical and governmental guidance changes, our Return to Play policies will continue to evolve. All updates will be communicated to participants in advance of their event.