More than 60 million households in the United States rely on natural gas to heat their water, cook their food, dry their clothing and heat their homes. Natural gas is a safe and reliable fuel if used correctly.
At the same time, it’s more important for you and everyone in your family to know all you can about natural gas safety, from how to operate your natural gas shut-off valve to how to detect a gas leak, to what to do and not do in an emergency.
Natural gas is odorless, colorless, non-toxic and has no taste in its natural state. It is 40 percent lighter than air. If it isn't contained, natural gas rises, seeking its way into the atmosphere where it dissipates.
As a safety precaution, a distinctive rotten egg or sulfur-like odor has been added to the natural gas the City provides so you can immediately smell the smallest of leaks. For your safety, it is important that everyone in your household know how to recognize the odor of natural gas.