The Corpus Christi Parks & Recreation Department’s Juvenile Assessment Center helps families connect with the services they need to help their children to become productive citizens, avoid delinquency and to assist in the reduction of crime in our community. We help families with children and youth who skip school, break the city’s night-time curfew, have poor grades in school, use alcohol or drugs, find it difficult to communicate with their families, or commit “Class C” misdemeanors (examples: truancy, traffic violations, alcohol or tobacco offenses, minor theft under $50, etc.)
JAC staff primarily work with youth ages 8-17 to help them understand value their self-worth, and to help them make positive decisions by avoiding negative influences that often lead to academic failure or crime.
- Designed for youth ages 10-17.
- Assessment of youth or family problems, needs and strengths.
- Inexpensive drug testing.
- Case management.
- Service referrals to other agencies or providers.
- Pre-trial intervention and follow-up for those who receive a misdemeanor citation and are required to appear before court.
- JAC uses the 40 Developmental Assets as a tool for assessments and case management.
Prevention & Outreach
- Available to parent groups, youth in school, youth associated with community agencies, and youth with a court order.
- Botvin’s Life Skills Training is an 8-15 module training program.
- Character education.
- Substance abuse prevention.
The JAC welcomes the opportunity to tailor a prevention education class to meet specific needs. The JAC staff is also available for presentations to community groups.
Call for more information and to schedule an appointment.
CONTACT INFORMATION & HOURS
Office is located in the Wilson Plaza building, across from Wells Fargo Bank.
Phone: (361) 826-4000
Daytime Administrative & Service Hours:
Monday–Thursday, 8am–7pm; and Friday, 8am–5pm
(Open five days a week, except for City Holidays)
Nighttime Hours for Curfew Violations and Assessments Only:
(Open 365 days, including holidays)