- Be sure that your boat/vessel is seaworthy.
- Do not consume ALCOHOL while boating.
- Check the weather forecast prior to departing.
- Watch for wind, storms, and lightning.
- Wear life jackets.
- Know your area.
- Ask Marina Office staff for tips. They work 24/7.
- Get a free inspection from the USCG Auxiliary.
- Pick up free brochures/pamphlets on “Boating Safety Tips” by the TPWD or USCG which are located in the Marina Office.
- Know the RULES of the "Road"
Five Most Important Tips for First-time Sailors
- Always wear your life jacket when underway.
- Make sure you file a float plan with a responsible adult so they know where you are going and when you should return.
- Study and know the rules of the road so you are aware of which boat has the right of way.
- Keep a good look out for other boats. Even if you know the rules others may not, so you have to operate defensively.
- Always operate at a safe speed, at a safe distance from the shore and other boats, and in a responsible manner.
Essential Item Check List
- Life jackets
- Fuel system
- Boat transom plug
- Signaling device e.g.: flares, mirror, VHF radio, cell phone
- Drinking water