Natural Gas can be detected through:
Dead and/or discolored vegetation are signs of a possible leak around the pipeline. In some appliances, you can see the flame. A blue flame is an indication of a properly working appliance.
You may notice a pungent or unusual odor, like rotten eggs. With some appliances, you can feel overheating or cold in the burner area, which would indicate that the appliance is not working properly.
Listen for any unusual noise, like a hissing or roaring sound. If the flame sounds unusually noisy, it may not be burning properly.
What to do if you suspect a leak:
- Immediately leave the area.
- Abandon any equipment being used and move upwind from the suspected leak.
- From a safe location, call 911 and the Gas Department at (361) 885-6942.
- Warn others to stay away until emergency responders are on site.
What NOT to do if you suspect a leak:
- Do not touch, breathe or make contact with the leaking liquids or gas. Stay upwind if possible.
- Do not light a match, start or shut off an engine, use a telephone, turn on any type of electrical switches such as a light, or garage door opener to avoid creating a spark.
- Do not attempt to extinguish any fire that might start.
- Do not drive into a leak or vapor cloud area. Automobile engines may ignite vapors.
- Do not attempt to operate valves.
Learn the Stages of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning